Eating with Braces
During orthodontic treatment, you will still enjoy most of the foods that you’re accustomed to eating. Some foods, however, will damage your appliances and extend your treatment time unnecessarily. In general, hard, sticky, crunchy and chewy foods should not be eaten while you have braces. With clear aligner therapy, you simply remove your clear aligners while eating and there are no dietary restrictions.
Foods to Enjoy:
- Soft breads, tortillas, pancakes and muffins.
- Dairy products such as milk, pudding and cheese.
- Soft grains including pasta and rice.
- Meat such as ground beef and shredded chicken.
- Fish and seafood.
- Vegetables that are soft such as mashed potatoes, beans and spinach.
- Soft Fruits such as applesauce and bananas.
- Sweets including ice cream, milkshakes, gelatin and cake.
Foods to Avoid with Braces:
- Hard foods such as candy and nuts.
- Sticky foods such as caramel and gum.
- Chewy foods like hard rolls, bagels, and licorice.
- Crunchy foods such as chips, popcorn and ice.
- Large foods that you must bite into such as whole apples and carrots.
We want to make your orthodontic treatment as comfortable and quick as possible! Please don’t hesitate to call us with any questions that you may have about living with your braces.